Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Sugar & Spice Toasted Pumpkin Seeds


I've been making tons of pumpkin puree lately & I just hate throwing out the seeds so I decided to start toasting them. My kids went absolutely crazy with delight! Toasting recipes usually call for butter or oil which adds on way too many calories for my liking! I looked through quite a few toasting recipes & came up with my own lighter version. After I clean the seeds I always lay them out on a cookie sheet & let them dry overnight.

Sugar & Spice Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

  • 1 1/2 c pumpkin seeds
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 3 Tbsp brown sugar
Spread pumpkin seeds in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Spray them generously with butter flavored Pam spray. (I'm sure the Canola oil one would work as well) Sprinkle on salt, pumpkin pie spice & brown sugar. Mix seeds around so they are all covered with sugar mixture. Spread them out in a single layer again & bake at 275 degrees for 45 minutes.

Weight Watcher point value: 2 per serving, serving size is 1/4 c

On a side note, pumpkin seeds are actually pretty good for you. I was reading that they prevent the hardening of the arteries & can regulate cholesterol levels. They taste great & are good for you!

1 comment:

  1. Those are two great qualities! "They taste great & are good for you!"

    ReplyDelete